Thursday 15 October 2015

Let the surgeon see the Papaya

The week before the operation I got told about the potential papaya hysterectomy at my pre op appointment. Before this I didn't actually realise you could do that op through 'that' entrance. But to be fair, I didn't really know that much about hysterectomies at all, apart from the experience of a good friend of mine who had been through it.

I talked the pros and cons through with my husband and he rightly said, 'Kirsty, nobody but you can make this decision.' He also said, 'you need to think about the fact that this operation takes your option away to have children again and even though we had made the decision that we weren't having any more (snip snip), he said I need to think about if something ever happened to him, or if we split up, would I want children then?

Now that is depressing as hell, but he was right, and in true Kirsty style, this is how I worked it out...

Are we going to split up in the next 12 months? - No, we are very happy right now and I can't see that happening.
So then the thought process went - if we split up in say 12 months, I'd then be 36 years old. I'd then need to meet someone new to have said baby with, that could take a year or more, so I'd be 37/38. I then wouldn't have a baby with someone straight away, so now I'm 39.... Then, wait a minute *thinks back to being pregnant*. Sack this off, NO MATTER WHAT, I WILL NOT BE HAVING ANY MORE CHILDREN. Decision made.




 Of course this wasn't the only thing I needed to think about. There was also the risks of the operation, things that could potentially go wrong and also the menopause.  I did a lot of research and made sure I had all the questions in my head answered. I found a great website/forum called The Hysterectomy Association which was amazing. It provided answers to all my questions and had a forum where ladies shared their experiences. I was armed with info and ready for surgery.... 

The morning of the operation came and surprisingly, I was really calm about it. Matt and the kids got up early and took me to Spire Cheshire Hospital in Warrington and dropped me off. I said a cheery goodbye to them but as I walked away a couple of tears fell from my eyes. 

I wasn't going to see the children for four days and even worse than that the recovery meant that I couldn't give them massive big hugs for a while. My mum used to call me her hugabug because of my love for hugs... I was really going to miss them. 

Bim Williams, my awesome consultant, came to see me and we discussed what was going to happen in surgery. I asked her about the hysterectomy that the nurse had mentioned at the pre op appointment, but she said that wasn't necessarily what was going to happen.

It's important to note that the last time I had seen Bim was well over a year ago when I had my pre op for the op that didn't happen in the previous October. So things may have changed with me, like for example my heavy periods, or the prolapse could have got worse.  I explained the period/anaemia problem to her and we came up with a plan.

My consent form went something like this....

Prolapse fix (front wall)
Plus
and/or
Or

So basically, I was having a prolapse fix for definite and she was having a toot and taking a sample from my uterus then from that would make the decision which action would be best. So basically, I had no idea what would happen and would only find out post-surgery. Yikes!

I was really glad this happened though because it made me realise my true feelings about the hysterectomy. I was a little bit gutted that it might not happen. After everything that had happened this year, I was tired of trying to find something that might work, and the ablation option had the whole 'percentage of success' attached to it. Pah! I just wanted it to be over now and the heavy periods and the anaemia to be gone and wanted to feel like me again.

So off I went down to surgery...... 'Kirsty you are going to feel a little light headed.......5, 4, 3............'


#papaya
#sharingiscaring

xxx








No comments:

Post a Comment